Monday, January 28, 2013

Selling Your Stuff Series {Part 1}

Many who know me well can attest to the fact that I have a zest for selling things I no longer want or need.  The way I see it, couponing, for example, does for some folks what selling things here and there does for me.  I am not sure what it is--but I find it to be so exhilarating to identify and compile items I'm ready to part with.  I guess it just feels cleansing (and productive!) to send these things on their way, especially when I can expect to make a little cash in exchange for my efforts.
I loved these boots and was so sad to see them go!  Check back for the details of where I got them and how and why I sold them!

For whatever reason, my kids never played with this toy very much, so I sold it before we put our house on the market last year.  

Prior to moving to Illinois this past year for Philip's residency, we lived on a pretty modest budget thanks to a monthly stipend from the Air Force and some loans we took out for living expenses.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn early on that with a little bit of effort, I could actually sell nearly everything I came across that we didn't need anymore.  This of course came in handy when I needed to come up with the money to buy something new*.

A bit of household decor I was ready to pass on.

I'd had this book for years from when I did some Pilates training.  I was rather elated when I sold it for $25!
Over the past several years I've gained quite a bit of experience selling things in a variety of ways--eBay, Craigslist, consignment stores, even Amazon.  I'm by no means an expert, but as friends of mine have expressed that trying to sell their stuff feels overwhelming to them, I've realized that I actually really enjoy helping with this.   To that end, I'm going to make an effort at being a conscientious blogger and post each day this week my tips on the best approach for making money from your unwanted wares.  I hope you'll stop by and pass along any tips you may have as well!

An old wireless router we had lying around in our basement!  Who knew it could bring $20 bucks?

*Admittedly, my hobby of selling things so that I can buy new things can feed a tendency toward materialism, but that's perhaps a story for another day :)

1 comment:

  1. Excited about this! I totally get a rush from selling things too. Can't wait for your insights!

    ReplyDelete