Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Sofas: How do you like your seat?

I'd like to take a little poll, partly for curiosity's sake and partly because I've got a little something brewing…So humor me if you will and tell me your thoughts:

Do you prefer a sofa with three seat cushions, two seat cushions, or one long bench seat cushion?

I feel like the each have their own advantages and disadvantages…

For the sake of keeping other things constant, let's compare different style seat cushions with the same style sofa--in this case, the English Roll Arm style, which happens to be my very favorite :)

Three seat cushions feel the most traditional to me. (Also: I know I just recently posted this room.  It is just so good.)

source

I feel like the look comes across really balanced since the three seat cushions mimic the divisions on the back of the sofa.

source

I wonder if three cushions is the easiest style for maintaining nicely fluffed cushions?  Seems possible since the sections are smaller…

source

I also feel like three cushions could be easier for spot treating--just remove the cushion cover that needs to be cleaned, leaving the rest in tact.

At the same time, I am not a fan of sitting on seams or being stuck in the space between cushions.  Some people say that even on a sofa with three cushions, three people rarely sit there at the same time, so the two people inevitably end up sitting on top of a seam.  Not so good if you ask me.

source

Two cushions present less of a problem if you have that same scenario.  Each person get their own cushion with no problems.

source

It's a nice clean look, and I think it works best when the sofa has that one division down the back to match the split in the two seat cushions…

source

Lastly, we have the single bench seat cushion.

source
I really love that long bolster pillow paired with the lone seat cushion!

I'm seeing one single cushion done more and more these days.  It strikes me as as a more streamlined, modern look.

source

I think it's nice not to have to worry about any seams in the cushions…nobody gets stuck in a gap!  And frankly, having spent time on a bench seat sofa, it kinda feels like a big bed.
source

via 

It's a little hard to tell, but the sofa in the photo above has one long cushion.


So, what do you think?  One, two, or three seat cushions?  Maybe you think it's absurd to spend so much time thinking about the number of seat cushions on your sofa.  That's ok.  I can handle that kind of feedback too :)  I would love to know your opinion on this very important topic.

7 comments:

  1. We have both a one cushion and a two cushion. The one cushion also serves as a guest bed which is super helpful. Also the room we had the one cushion in everyone always migrated to. It is also the smallest room in that house. HA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I have thought about this very question a lot recently because we are sofa shopping for our den (which currently has a two-cushion piece and my least favorite between the three options). We have two three-cushioned sofas in our sunroom, that I love and would buy again if they would fit in our den. I am also anti-seam-sitting, but I have never had that issue on a three-cushioned sofa (maybe b/c I like to plop down right in the middle when I have those precious few minutes of downtime : )). They hold their shape much better than our two-cushioned sofa and even with five years of over-loving still look pretty darn good. But the one-cushioned option seems the most chic, although impractical in a house full of adorably messy kids and one completely messy dog. Alas, my vote at this time in my life will have to be for the three-cushioned look. Ask me again in five years : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am a one cushion fan, and a fan of several sofas you have pictured.
    any ideas where i'd find the gold velevety one? or the orange raw silky one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One cushion, hands down. I have redone several sofas now and putting a 5" thick firm foam, with a Dacron wrap and down crown makes the best most long lasting comfortable sofa. The seat is slip covered so cleaning is still relatively easy and with stays sewn into the frame at the sides you'll never have a problem sitting in the middle and having the ends flip up.

    A well made bench seat is delightful! And, unfortunately hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One seat cushion, one back cushion. It's both more comfortable and more elegant. Sadly, as the previous commenter said, not so easy to find -- especially if you want something that is NOT overly modern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you choose one seat cushion, test it. If it is not good quality one side will pop up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing!!! What a great transformation! Lots of hard work definitely paid off! I fall in love with your seat cushions.Thanks for sharing with all us.

    ReplyDelete