Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Thrifted Mirror


A couple of weeks ago, I finally popped in to a local thrift store I'd been meaning to visit.  Not much really struck me, until I got to the back of the store where I spotted an old mirror resting on the ground.  


I was really digging that cool greek key pattern, but for some strange reason, in a very uncharacteristic move, I left the store without even so much as asking the price on the mirror (there was no tag).  (I think I was telling myself I didn't really need the mirror, and with us getting ready to move, I should just pass by.  Who am I, thinking such practical thoughts as these?!)

I continued to think about the mirror though, so I thought I should at least go and see how much they wanted for it.  I didn't actually know the name of the place, so I couldn't call, I had to go back and see for myself.  So, I hauled my little people into the car and off we went.  Fortunately for all of us, this shop has the perfect little kid's section that delighted my children to no end.  While there, I learn that the price has recently been lowered to $30 for the mirror.  I think that sounds kind of high for a thrift store mirror, so I say no thanks and we return home.

Fast forward a couple of days, and I continue to think about this mirror.  It was really unique, old, heavy.  Sure, the finish could use a little work, but that's part of the fun, right?  $30 is not that much.   I decide I need to go back for the mirror.  <Replay the scene of schlepping the kids to the store.>  I purchase the mirror and the nice lady working there even sends my kids home with a complimentary book and toy each!  Now who can't say the mirror wasn't meant to be?

Currently, it can be found in our garage, surrounded by all kinds of chaos that must get organized prior to August when the movers will be knocking on our door! 


I can't wait to find a spot for it in whatever house we end up living in, ha!  I love a good gold mirror, and I'll be sure to share some of my inspiration as I start to think about what I plan to do with it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment