Monday, February 4, 2013

Selling Your Stuff {Part 3, Consignment/Amazon/Half.com}

Wrapping up my little series on selling your stuff leaves us with three categories: Amazon, Half.com, and Consignment Shops.

If you missed them, here's Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.

First up, Amazon.




Many of us buy from Amazon, but did you know you can sell with them too?  For most searchable items, you will see an option to "sell one" on the right hand side of the screen.  After you set up a seller's account, it's really simple to sell with them (far simpler, than eBay even).   You don't even need to take any pictures of your item because you just use Amazon's image.  This of course means you can only sell things Amazon already sells.  All that to say, if you're trying to sell something that is searchable on Amazon, then it's probably a pretty good place to try selling it (as opposed to eBay, Craigslist, consignment).

I sold that wireless router I pictured earlier on Amazon.  They reimburse you for some of the shipping charges too.



Probably my favorite Amazon sale ever was this huge printer.



It was given to me by my previous employer and when I left my job, the company didn't want it back.  We didn't need such a large printer (with really expensive replacement ink cartridges!), so I thought I'd see about selling it.  I could have done Craigslist (and I may have tried, can't recall), but I ended up listing it on Amazon. After shipping, I made about $50 for something I never even bought in the first place!  I have to tell you though, that thing sat in our basement for a long time before I got my favorite kind of email.



Patience is a virtue, my friends.

Next, a lesser known avenue for selling--Half.com

Maybe most of you are already familiar, but for those who are not--Half.com is an eBay company, and it is a great way to sell (and buy!) books.  It works much like selling things on Amazon.  Look up the book you want to sell, fill in the information about the condition of the book, etc, and set your price (I suggest a competitive one).  What started out as a joke when Philip deemed me totally cra-cra for sitting up one night and listing all sorts of books from college I no longer wanted on half.com has now become a completely legitimate activity.  Granted, maybe it's a tad strange to be found sitting on the couch with an eraser in hand, removing stray pencil marks and underlining (who knew I would regret that underlining many years later?!?!) so that I could list book after book, but really, those are just details.  The point is--I get emails that look like this!

 

It is most satisfying, I assure you :)  And quite worth all the erasing.  

Ok, we are in the home stretch.  Quite possibly my favorite way to sell things remains (actually, I love them all, can't commit to a favorite)

Consignment shops!  

They are fantastic, largely because as the seller, you needn't do much.  Once you've made sure your things are nice and presentable, you just haul them off to a local shop and wait for your moolah.  
Unless it is broken or dirty beyond any hope of cleaning, no matter how small and seemingly insignificant said items may be (assuming it's not better suited to one of the aforementioned avenues for selling), you should take it to a local consignment shop.  Seriously.  This is the place for unwanted picture frames, miscellaneous kitchen items, random linens, various kid's toys, etc etc etc.  We generally have a bag (ok, a large box) that we keep out of sight, but that can house these sorts of things as we come across them.  When the bag gets full, off it goes to consignment heaven.

This item was ideally suited to a consignment shop for resale.
I should probably explain here that in my experience there are a couple different types of consignment shops.  For the types of things that I described above, I'd recommend finding a local shop (ideally one that doesn't charge you an initial fee, though a minimal one would be ok) that takes home goods where you can set up an account.  (If you're in Lynchburg, VA, I love the ETC Shop :)  They all work a bit differently, but typically they give you a portion of the sale of your items once they've sold.  Obviously, the bigger your cut the better.  It is SO fun to get a check (however small the amount may be!) in the mail for things you didn't want anymore anyway!  

When it comes to consigning clothes (ones where it didn't make sense to sell on eBay), I've had the best success with upscale shops that sell only clothes and accessories. (love Clementine and Indigo Avenue in Richmond, VA!) They can be pickier than the more "thrifty" type consignment shop, but if you're willing to be patient it can really pay off.  If something doesn't sell there, you can always add it to your growing bag of smaller items.  Remember that when it comes to consigning clothes, you need to be thinking a season ahead.  Don't go through your winter stuff at the end of the season and expect to be able to sell them then...

I would also like to say that I do think it's wonderful to simply donate things. Without this kind of generosity, there would be no treasure-hunting at places like the Goodwill.   With that said, I hope all of this infomation was helpful.  Please know it would bring me great joy to hear your selling success stories :)

Happy Selling!  

No comments:

Post a Comment